If you don't keep your mind active, studies show that your brain loses some of
its functionality as you age, which causes memory loss, brain fog, and even
A well-stimulated brain also elevates your mood, which helps you feel better on
Here are 15 brain boosting activities:
1. Play games that challenge and stimulate your mind. These include:
* Picture Puzzles
* Strategy Games
* Crossword Puzzles
* Card Games
* Deduction Games (such as Clue)
* Visualization Puzzles
* Optical Illusions
2. Reading stimulates the brain as it activates your imagination. Reading also
helps with memory retention and problem solving, especially if you're reading a
mystery. Also, self-help books stimulate your brain by helping you to think for
yourself, as well as find solutions in your mind.
3. Exercising helps circulate blood that carries oxygen to your brain. Over the
long-term, exercise is proven to increase brainpower and even create new
4. Stimulate your brain with meditation. Meditation has been shown to increase
your IQ, relieve stress, and promote a higher level of brain functioning.
Meditation also stimulates the prefrontal cortex of the brain, the area of the
brain responsible for advanced thinking, ability and performance.
5. Deep breathing helps deliver oxygen to your brain. Oxygen helps you be more
alert and awake. As little as 10 to 15 minutes of deep breathing daily can
increase brain functionality.
6. Taking fish oil supplements is literally like membrane material for the
brain.. The two primary components in fish oil, DHA and EPA, strengthen the
emotional center of the brain and boost focus.
7. Studies have proven that listening to music strengthens the right hemisphere
of the brain and actually changes the structure of it. Also, people who listen
to music are shown to be more emotionally intelligent than those who don't.
8. Writing improves memory and thought expression. Writing articles, blogs, or
journal entries stimulates thought processes, which also enhances brain
9. Sleep clears out brain clutter and reduces brain fog. When you don't get
enough sleep at night, your memory and normal brain function suffers.
10. Painting is shown to be an effective brain booster in that it sparks the
creativity within you. Even if you've never tried painting before, give it a
shot. You'll find that you feel more creative and may actually enjoy it.
11. Starting the day out with a good breakfast has been proven to supply energy
to the brain and body for the whole day. When you skip breakfast, you're missing
out on a powerful edge, both physically and mentally.
12. Walking allows you to clear your mind and thoughts. Not only is it good
exercise for your body, walking gives your brain a chance to wander freely,
clearing it of any troublesome thoughts.
13. Drink a serving of pure fruit juice. Fruit juice contains nutrients that
revitalize and refresh the brain. Juices to drink are pomegranate, blueberry,
and cranberry as they deliver more focus and energy.
14. Students who drink some caffeine before an exam typically have higher scores
than those who don't. This is because caffeine stimulates activity in the brain,
which produces better focus and thinking ability. Don't overdo it though!
15. Draw a picture. Like painting, drawing stimulates the creative side of your
brain. So get out some colored pencils and start boosting your brainpower.