The devastating Australian bushfires have destroyed countless forests throughout the country, taking with them millions, if not billions of animals. In the midst of this tragedy that affected everyone, firefighters and volunteers alike tried their best to rescue the Australian wildlife from the flames, and these 12 photos depict just a few of the many remarkable success stories. Our hearts go out to the Australian people and the wildlife that was affected by the cataclysm, and we’d like to urge everyone to support the rescue and recovery efforts in Australia in whichever way you can.
1. Teens driving around and filling their car with koalas to rescue them from the fires
2. Filmmaker saved a baby kangaroo left all by itself
3. Australian zookeeper took several zoo animals home to save them from the flames
4. This dog saved a whole flock of sheep from the devastating fires by herding them into safety
5. Firefighter saving a koala from a burning forest
6. Over 600 bats evacuated in New South Wales due to fire
7. The poor little guy is so tired it fell asleep in the helmet!
8. Kangaroos gathering in a yard in Berrara Beach, New South Whales
9. Koala being saved from the fire by a volunteer
10. A team of professional volunteers saved a group of baby koalas from the Adelaide Hills Fire Zone Area
11. Kangaroo being showered with water after approaching humans to seek help
12. Koalas rescued from fires in a home in Cudlee Creek, South Australia