Scientists can’t seem to make up their mind about cell phones. Are they causing radiation? Yes. Is it harmful to us?
They aren’t sure. However, putting all their reports together, a pattern of tips and precautions becomes clear.
The most important thing you need to know right away, is that the phone is sometimes transmitting a stronger (and as such more hazardous) signal, while at other times it will transmit very weakly or not at all. It’s a good idea to know when that happens and when not, as to avoid causing possible harm to yourself. Parents, take heed, as children are the most susceptible to damage by radiation at their tender years of growth.
Here are some important tips to minimize exposure:
1. Keep some distance ? Hold the cell phone away from body to the extent possible.
2. Use a headset (wired or Bluetooth) to keep the handset away from your head.
3. Do not press the phone handset against your head. Radio Frequency (RF) energy is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source — being very close increases energy absorption much more.
4. Limit the length of mobile calls.
5. Use text (SMS) as compared to voice wherever possible.
6. Put the cell phone on speaker mode.
7. Use your phone where reception is good. If the radio signal is weak, a mobile phone will increase its transmission power. Find a strong signal and avoid movement.
8. Metal & water are good conductors of radio waves so avoid using a mobile phone while wearing metal-framed glasses or having wet hair.
9. Let the call connect before putting the handset on your ear or start speaking and listening ? A mobile phone first makes the communication at higher power and then reduces power to an adequate level. More power is radiated during call connecting time.
10. If you have a choice, use a landline (wired) phone, not a mobile phone.
11. When your phone is ON, don’t carry it in chest/breast or pants pocket. As it may harm your fertility or your heart.
When a mobile phone is ON, it automatically transmits at high power every one or two minutes to check (poll) the network.
12. Reduce mobile phone use by children as a younger person will likely have a longer lifetime exposure to radiation from cell phones.
13. People having active medical implants should preferably keep the cell phone at least 15cm away from the medical implant.
* While Purchasing a Mobile Handset check the SAR value of the mobile phone. It can be searched on internet if its model number and make is known.
14. The RF radiation is increased by Mobile phones when used in a car to overcome the window shielding. So try to reduce such use or stop it all together.