,

13 Household Products You Should Never Mix

-ADVERTISEMENT-

More accidents happen at home than anywhere else. Many of these can be avoided by just knowing what not to do. If you avoid these 13 combinations, you?ll save yourself time and money, and a trip to the hospital.

1. Different battery brands

13 Household Products You Should Never Mix
-ADVERTISEMENT-

Mixing batteries from different brands can lead to them leaking battery acid. The reason is that manufacturers use different chemical compositions for their batteries, which produce different levels of current. When one runs out of juice, the other can still keep running, but that causes it to leak, which can damage electronic devices.

2. Rubbing alcohol & bleach

Rubbing alcohol contains ethanol or isopropyl alcohol, which, when mixed with household bleach that contains sodium hypochlorite, will create chloroform and hydrochloric acid, as well as chloroacetone or dichloroacetone. These compounds can cause damage to the nervous system, lungs, kidneys, liver, eyes and skin. Also, high levels of chloroform can lead to dizziness, nausea, loss of consciousness and even death.

3. Ammonia & bleach

13 Household Products You Should Never Mix

This combination is also very dangerous, producing vapors that can cause severe damages to your respiratory system. And that?s not the worst thing that can happen ? if there are large amounts of ammonia, you might create a substance called liquid hydrazine. Liquid hydrazine is highly toxic and potentially explosive.

4. Vinegar & bleach

If you add a weak acid to bleach, it creates vapors of toxic chloramine and chlorine. These vapors can cause serious chemical burns to your eyes and lungs.

5. Vinegar & baking soda

-ADVERTISEMENT-

13 Household Products You Should Never Mix

Vinegar is an acid and baking soda is a base ? those two cancel each other out, rendering the resulting solution useless.

6. Vinegar & hydrogen peroxide

Combining these two products in the same container will create the corrosive paracetic acid. In high enough concentrations, paracetic acid can irritate and even damage your skin, eyes, throat, nose and lungs.

7. Grapefruit & medicine

Compounds in the grapefruit interfere with enzymes in the stomach, which are in-charge of metabolizing certain types of medicine. This ends up increasing the level of certain chemicals in the blood and can lead to a deadly overdose.

8. Alcohol & ibuprofen

-ADVERTISEMENT-

13 Household Products You Should Never Mix

Taking ibuprofen on an empty stomach can lead to damage to the stomach-lining. Adding alcohol into the mix stimulates this process and can worsen the effect. Damage to the lining can lead to internal bleeding, ulcers and other problems.

9. Alcohol & acetaminophen

Chronic consumption of alcohol causes the body to produce certain enzymes that interact adversely with acetaminophen. The reactions can damage the liver and even be lethal. In the U.S. alone, over 200 people die every year thanks to this deadly combination.

10. Dairy & antibiotics

Dairy is rich in calcium, and while it may be good for your bones, it?s interaction with antibiotics is anything but. Calcium prevents the antibiotics from being absorbed into your body, reducing their effectiveness.
Antibiotics that are most effected by dairy are: ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin and tetracycline.

11. Milk & energy drinks

The acid in the energy drinks mixes with proteins in the milk, causing the milk to curdle very quickly. The results are usually the same ? projectile vomiting?

12. Retinol & glycolic acid or alpha hydroxyl acid

-ADVERTISEMENT-

Both of these skin-care products may help you look younger, but mixing them together is a bad idea. Glycolic acid has a different level of pH than retinol, so when both are used, the glycolic acid becomes dominant, reducing the effectiveness of retinol considerably. It can also cause some mild skin irritation.

13. Retinol & sunlight

13 Household Products You Should Never Mix

Recent evidence shows that retinol can become toxic when exposed to direct sunlight, and increase your chances of getting sunburns. It is recommended that you only use it at night, or if you choose to use it during the day ? use sunscreen and avoid direct sunlight as much as possible.

-ADVERTISEMENT-
Advertisement

Leave a Reply