Crime is on the rise. News about rapes, robbery and chain snatching have become a regular feature when we glance at the papers or browse the net. And even though the country needs to exercise serious safety laws, it is important for us as individuals to take care of ourselves by following a few self defence techniques.
Apart from being aware of your surroundings, experts advice learning some simple self defence moves in case an attacker strikes. Try starting with these 13 tricks to begin with.
It sounds scary, but it is certainly a useful advice.
2. Learn how to get out of a wrist hold.
Pull your arm towards the weakest point of their hand grip i.e. the point where the assailant’s thumb and fingers meet.
4. Use comb teeth to press against a striker?s upper lip. It will hurt him so much that he?ll be forced to leave you.
You can try it on yourself to see how painful it can be.
5. Keep your keys handy. Push them between your middle fingers and make an upward movement towards your attackers face to slit his cheeks.
There are other ways you can use a key for self defense as well. This video will help.
6. Ear slaps are the best. They put pressure on the ear canal, disturbing an attacker’s equilibrium.
7. Love wearing heels? Scrape them down their shinbone and as hard as possible.
8. Wrap your purse handle or dupatta around his neck, and pull them back. In a few seconds, your attacker will feel choked.
Or simply pull him back with his collar. The top button of his shirt will have the same choking function.
This is the first thing you need to do. It lets the attacker know that you are not an easy target. And it also gives a signal for help.
10. Aim for body parts where you can exert the most damage. These are the eyes, ears, neck, nose, knees, groin and legs.
11. Use your elbows, knees and head to attack the opponent. These are your permanent weapons.
13. As a precautionary measure, download a few safety apps on your smartphone.