The dictionary definition of a border is: ?a line separating two political or geographical areas, especially countries.? Most countries in the world share their border with at-least one more country. China shares its borders with 16 other countries, Russia with 14. At the same time, Australia and Japan don?t have any neighbors.
Borders can be peaceful and open (European Union), tense and closed (North/South Korea) or variation of both. Below, you?ll see incredible examples of the starkly different, as well as the wonderfully similar borders around the world.
2. North and South Korea
3. India and Pakistan
The India/Pakistan border along the Himalayas
4. Brazil (on the left) and Bolivia (on the right)
The stark difference between a country that protects its rainforests and one that doesn’t…
5. Haiti (on the left) and The Dominican Republic (on the right)
The Dominican Republic has strict laws protecting its forests, Haiti doesn’t…
6. Ukraine and Poland
The fish symbolize the unity between both states, signifying their free trade.
7. Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil
8. Mexico (on the left) and the U.S.A. (on the right)
9. Canada and the U.S.A.
The U.S. – Canada border actually cuts through a small town called "Derby Line" and literally cuts several buildings in half.
10. The U.S.A. (on the right) and Russia (on the left)
11. Spain (close) and Portugal (further)
12. Belgium (close) and the Netherlands (further)
Belgium is not as economically successful as the Netherlands, and some of its roads are quite worn out…
Below is where the belgium/Netherlands border meets in the towns on Braal-Nassau & Braal-Hertog.
13. Norway and Sweden
14. Germany and the Czech Republic
Another border meeting
15. Germany and Poland
16. Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic
17. Spain and British Gibraltar
18. Argentina (on the left) and Brazil (on the right)
19. Brazil, Venezuela and Guyana
20. Austria and Slovenia
21. Spain and Morrocco
There is a small city under Spanish sovereignty in the north of Morrocco, called Ceuta. It has been featured on the news due to it being the only "European" city in Africa, leading many illegal immigrants to try and cross the fence.