These 60 photos taken throughout history tell humanities story so far, through it’s best moments, its worst and the moment in between – the moments that would otherwise be forgotten if they weren’t photographed. When you look at these you can’t help but wonder what photos people will look back one day to remember the 21st century.
2. Deputy Mayor Ernst Kurt Lisso and his family after committing suicide by cyanide to avoid capture by US troops, 1945.
3. A guard of honour passes out as Queen Elizabeth II rides past during the Trooping the Colour parade, 1970.
4. Australian soldiers after their release from Japanese captivity in Singapore, 1945.
5. A girl who grew up in a concentration camp draws a picture of ?home? while living in a residence for disturbed children, 1948.
6. Rudolf Hoess the commandant of the Auschwitz concentration camp, is hanged next to the crematorium at the camp, 1947.
7. Highway of Death, The result of American forces bombing retreating Iraqi forces, Kuwait, 1991.
8. Italian Cavalry School, 1906.
9. Muslim members of the Waffen-SS 13th division at prayer during their training in Germany, 1943.
10. The shells from an allied creeping bombardment on German lines, 1916.
11. Elephant-mounted machine-gun, 1914.
12. Testing football helmets, 1912.
13. The remains of the astronaut Vladimir Komarov, a man who fell from space, 1967.
14. Simone Segouin, the 18 year old French Résistance fighter, 1944.
15. Japanese Special Naval Landing Forces with gas masks and rubber gloves during a chemical attack, Battle of Shanghai, 1937.
16. Shell shocked soldier, 1916.
17. The priest and the dying soldier, 1962.
18. NASA scientists with their board of calculations, 1961.
19. Conrad Schumann defects to West Berlin, 1961.
20. The ruins of Dresden, 1945.
21. Female IRA fighter, 1970s.
22. A KKK child and a black State Trooper meet each other, 1992.
23. Bison skulls to be used for fertilizer, 1870.
24. Captain Nieves Fernandez shows to an American soldier how she used her long knife to silently kill Japanese soldiers during occupation, 1944.
25. Fidel Castro smoking a cigar and wearing two Rolex watches during a meeting with Khrushchev, Kremlin, 1963.
26. Theodore Roosevelt?s diary the day his wife and mother died, 1884.
27. Feeding polar bears from a tank, 1950.
28. The marine and the kitten, Korean War, 1952.
29. Job hunting in 1930?s.
30. British army bomb disposal specialist approaches a suspect vehicle in Northern Ireland, early ?70.
31. Women boxing on a roof, 1938.
32. Dagen H, the day Sweden switched sides of the road, 1967.
33. Motel manager pouring acid in the water when black people swam in his pool, 1964.
34. Living Photographs, photographs created by assembling sailors and soldiers, 1918.
35. American Nazi Party leader George Lincoln Rockwell confronting Martin Luther King Jr., 1965.
36. The class divide in pre-war Britain, 1937.
37. German soldiers react to footage of concentration camps, 1945.
38. A utility worker gives mouth-to-mouth to a co-worker after he was electrocuted, 1967.
39. Stalin?s son Yakov Dzhugashvili captured by the Germans, 1941.
40. The last public execution by guillotine, France, 1939.
41. Berlin at the end of the War, 1945.
42. John F. Kennedy?s coffin lies in state in the Capitol Building, 1963.
43. Evelyn McHale who leapt to her death from the Empire State Building, 1947.
44. The face of hockey goalie Terry Sawchuk before masks became standard equipment in 1966.
45. When the first bananas came to Norway, 1905.
46. Harold Agnew carrying the plutonium core of the Nagasaki Fat Man bomb, 1945.
47. A German soldier sharing his rations with a Russian mother in 1941.
48. American soldiers returning after V-Day to New York harbour on a crowded ship, 1945.
49. Due to a shortage of stockings in 1942 women would paint them on instead.
50. Georges Blind, a member of the French resistance, smiling at a German firing squad, 1944.
51. The Reichstag covered in graffiti after being seized from the Nazis by the Red Army, 1945.
52. Wounded combat dog during action on the Orote Peninsula, 1944.
53. German soldier gives bread to an orphaned Russian boy, 1942.
54. Turkish official teasing starved children with bread during the Armenian Genocide, 1915.
55. The first ever press pictures of dead U.S. soldiers that were presented to the public, 1943.
56. Maori Battalion haka in Egypt, 1941.
57. Testing a bulletproof vest in 1923.
58. General Patton?s dog on the day of Patton?s death on December 21st, 1945.
59. Einstein?s desk photographed a day after his death.
60. A lucky British soldier showing off his damaged helmet, 1918.