Did you know that cats can drink saltwater? Apparently, felines are more tolerant to highly salty foods than dogs and humans, although scientists are not exactly sure why… This makes me think, the more we learn about this world of ours, the more convinced we become that it’s one bizarre and unbelievable place. With authentic facts like these, who needs fiction?
1. Female dragonflies prefer to “drop dead” rather than deal with unwanted male attention. Lady dragonflies drop on the ground and pretend to be dead when approached by an unworthy male.
2. Theoretically, you are losing weight while eating celery because it takes more calories to digest than the vegetable contains.
3. Australia has the largest population of wild camels in the world. In 2008, there were more than 1 million feral camels in the country.
4. Between 1912 and 1948, the Olympics gave out medals for sculptures, painting, architecture, music, and literature in addition to sports competitions.
5. Botanically speaking, bananas are berries, but strawberries aren’t. The strawberry is a so-called “false fruit,” or a pseudocarp, which consists of a cluster of multiple tiny fruits surrounded by a fleshy receptacle.
6. The oldest continuously operational hotel in the world has been running since 705 AD. The Nishiyama Onsen Keiunkan in Japan has been owned by the same family for 52 generations!